Mertens Water Monitor

On a recent work trip to Mt Isa, I was lucky enough to have time for a little herping. Sadly, the full moon was against me and night spotting was pretty dismal - however, and frustratingly, while working I did get to see plenty of Dragons and Skinks - that obviously I couldn't photograph ... damn the capitalist system that's keeping me down!

That's great - but which way to the pub?
ahem ...

Happily though, I did get the opportunity to head out to Lake Moondarra [Mt Isa's water catchment and recreational area] - where I know a few tracks and subsequently followed one down to the waters edge during the heat of the day.

I wasn't really expecting to see much, for despite what you might think, most reptiles tend to slip into cover and shade during the hottest parts of the day.

So I was stoked when as I was reconnoitring the lakes edge, I spied a Monitor slowly picking his way through the reeds and weed atop the waist deep water ...


Something had to be done - thus, it was off with the steel caps and trousers, and into the blood warm water ...


... Slightly exposed to the elements but armed with my camera I ventured forth ... much like a bumbling, breathless idiot - as you'll see in the video ...


Obviously I should've stayed still and let the camera roll, but I was simply too excited, and I make no claims of being a film maker ... lol.

A little after this though, he reappeared and I got to watch him quietly do his thing for some time - sorry I couldn't share that with you. But I guess, like all things, filming wildlife takes experience and patience ... I have neither.

But I'm working on it.

Slowly ...

Have an excellent day ok? :)

Comments