Australia's most valuable snake?

A couple of days ago, I was about to take a break and glanced out the window to see what might be about. A wallaby or a bird to have a chat with over my cuppa perhaps?, when I noticed there was a blade of sugar cane serpentining its way along the deck. I did a double take - sure enough, it was a little snake. Now, despite what you might think, seeing a snake during the day - cruising on the deck is not a common occurrence. So I fell out the door and quietly approached it.

The first thing I noticed was that it was missing most of its tail, (I understand that everything from the head down looks like a tail, but snakes do have them all the same). I was thinking about this as I attempted to I.D the unfortunate fellow, (I settled on Marsh snake, Hemiaspis signata for the I.D). But I couldn't stop thinking about the tail. I have no way of knowing how the snake suffered the injury; bird, shovel, mower - I just don't know. But without a tail, its chances of long-term survival are probably remote.

They are in the Elapidae family and are venomous, although at this size, (150-180mm), probably not dangerously so. I didn't hassle it however, as it seemed to me that it had quite enough to contend with without some bumbling primate adding to its woes. So I just observed it, until after a minute or two, it made its way to the strawberry patch and promptly disappeared.

Marsh snake on the back deck.
Marsh snake AKA Black-bellied swamp snake


Eventually, I returned to my cave to carry on, but my thoughts kept going back to my stumpy visitor. Now, I know that there is at least one species of snake that can shed its tail in a crisis, the Cane toad eating Keelback. So I thought I'd do a quick online search of other species that may use autotomy as well. To my surprise, the first few sites I was directed to, claimed that no snake has the ability.

Keelback snake, hunting its prey in the water at night
Keelback hunting in a small body of water, Maytown FNQ


The Keelback, also, and confusingly known, as the Freshwater snake; is, in my opinion, Australia's most valuable snake. As I said, they do their bit to help the environment by consuming Cane toads, one of the very few native animals to do so - although that list does appear to be growing. I suppose that other snakes, are valuable too - especially those that deal with rodent plagues. However, some of the most efficient of those are highly venomous, and are often not well tolerated - good deeds be damned!.

The Keelback has no venom, and it's a rather discreet critter, often encountered around dusk and dawn, (crepuscular activity), but we've also seen them on grey days and at night. Unfortunately, there is another species of snake that looks very similar to the Keelback and shares some of the same geography. The Rough-scaled snake. I don't have a picture to share with you, I should have - but I don't. Let me explain ...

It was a bright, hot day and Jo was outside annoying the veggie patch when, as is often the case, she spotted a snake. I can't remember what I was doing at the time, so it probably involved cocktails, - whatever I was up to, I stopped and joined Jo who said she thought it was a Keelback. After a quick search, I found the snake. And all of a sudden, everything got a whole hell of a lot more interesting, very quickly indeed.

At first glance, I assumed Jo was right and walked up to the snake without much caution. The snake, obviously a little put out by my cavalier attitude, immediately rose into a defensive S like posture and mock struck the air. It then dropped to the ground and approached me - a very unkeelback thing to do. With my unshod feet feeling alarmingly exposed - I considered my options. Running away held a certain, cowardly charm, but I steeled myself and took a step to the left. The snake stopped and once more adopted its 'not to be trifled with' position.

By this time I realised two things - It wasn't a Keelback, and I didn't have my camera. The reptile too, had obviously been having a bit of a think. And before I could gather my wits, it quickly, but confidently, headed for the long grass and was gone.

The Rough-scaled Snake is a shy and extremely nervous snake, and will vigorously defend itself if cornered. A defensive snake will raise its forebody in an S-shape, with the head pointing directly at the offender and the mouth slightly agape. It hisses loudly and explosively and, if approached too closely, will strike out and bite repeatedly.
Rough-scaled Snake - The Australian Museum


Not all Elapids are dangerously venomous, but those that are - really, really are.

The reason I've shared that little moment with you, is to try to underscore just how easy it can be to make a mistake when it comes to venomous snakes. And I like to think I know, at least a little, about them. Yet there I was, in a situation of my own making that could have turned out far worse than leaving me, and now you, with a slightly boring anecdote, right?.

Take care

If you'd like to view more info on the Rough-scaled snake, including images, click on the link in the quote.

Comments

Popular Posts