Ferocious Spiders, Armoured Katydids and Venomous Caterpillars

On a whim, it was decided that a sojourn to the local National Park was in order. So with the sun comfortably set - it was off to Mt Lewis. The place has a chequered history in terms of exploitation and conservation. It was extensively logged and mined for tin - in fact, alluvial tin can still be seen in the creeks and pools throughout the park. Of course, we weren't there to do a bit of casual night-logging, our mission was simple. Critter bothering.

We were hoping to spot a Chameleon gecko or two, but alas, that wasn't to be. TBH, that's the norm - at least for me. I might have a species in my head that I want to record and observe, but I don't get all forehead vein popping about it. If it happens, groovy, if not - it still beats zombieing out watching Netflix right?

As I alluded to, Mt Lewis, for the most part - is now a National Park. So any and all wildlife interactions were going to be hands-off affairs. I generally refrain from touching wildlife anyway, especially as I've gotten a little older, wiser and undoubtedly slower. But even in my dotage, I will still move a snake off the road or hold and admire an insect up-close if it happens to land on me or in my drink, (something that happens a lot more frequently than you'd think).

The truck creaked and rumbled up the mildly bumpy road ascending the mountain, while we chatted about the important - forgettable stuff, often discussed at such times. Bats, drawn to the insects caught in the beams of our lights - swooped and danced in the air. We spied a Northern Betong, (which, a few years ago - would've been a big deal ...), but I didn't have an appropriate lens with me to try and photograph it, so we stopped. Just observing, until it languidly 'bounced' out of our light's reach.

Continuing on, we got to a small and popular walking track that we thought we'd explore a little ways. It leads to a dam that has platypus in it. Unfortunately, I'm nursing yet another fractured toe. I tend to break or fracture my toes quite frequently, in part because I don't like to wear shoes and in part because I'm a lumbering clutz. On this night, I deigned to wear sandal type shoes, (yes, I know - one must be careful as people who wear sandals sometimes get crucified), but I thought I'd chance it.

We had gone a short distance when I noticed just how many White-kneed king crickets there were. In less than a minute, we had counted 5 or 6. It became clear a little later on why this might have been. But with my toe making me wince on the rocky, uneven ground, we decided to move out onto the road and just explore the verges. I'm glad we did, because the next insect of the Orthoptera order I found, took my breath away.

A large and fearsome looking katydid, looking directly at me.
Prickly aka Spiny katydid. Note how its 'ear' is visible, just below the left knee joint


They look fearsome, don't they?, and those spines aren't just for show. Though, in reality - they're peaceable insects, just wearing a little protection, (take note lads) ... and they may well need it.

While I was admiring the katydid, Jo moved along a little ways and discovered a spider, that I think probably warrants a little respect. We looked about, and found three more. One in particular captured my attention. The other spiders, obviously of the same species, would instantly retreat into their burrows at the first hint of danger. Not this one. This spider obviously felt that it was big enough, and bad enough - to best any challenger at its door.

A large and perhaps potentially 'dangerous' spider at the entrance of its burrow.
Hadronyche? Or Idiopidae/Nemesiidae?


I had to restrain myself. I desperately wanted to test how aggressive it might be by teasing the edge of its tunnel with a blade of grass. I didn't though - for two reasons. Firstly, I'm in a national park - and messing with the flora and fauna is just bad form. Secondly, and more importantly in this case, venom is expensive to produce. I didn't want the spider wasting it to simply to quell my curiosity. We eventually moved on.

By this stage, I was quite excited by the whole outing, (I'm easily pleased, I suppose). We wandered along for a bit - well, Jo wandered, I sort of quickstept - swore, and hobbled every time my toe came into contact, with anything. No, no - I was fine, you mustn't worry. Between critters, I was inventing medals, honours and small parades for myself ...

Remember I said that I thought we'd discovered why there were so many King crickets about? ...

Large crickets mating on the side of a tree
Spring, has unquestionably - sprung


By now, the hours had ambled past - an unknowable Cicada emerging here ... An unknown snail there etc.

A cicada climbing to a suitable vantage point to transform into an adult
Freshly emerged - the mud still drying


As we made our way back to the truck, we discussed what we'd found - and failed to find. We talked about how "dark" the night seemed - the lack of snakes and frogs. In short, we did, what wildlife bothering people do ... we reviewed the evening.

An unknown snail - feeding on moss.
A handsome snail - no clue as to the species, but I like the red stripes


It was at about this point that we talked about the surprise critter of the night that we found feeding on a tall ginger plant.

A very large hairy caterpillar that may cause serious skin irritation if handled.
Anthelid


Anthelid caterpillar feeding on a wild ginger plant.
Those orange stripes weren't filling me with much confidence


This is the largest caterpillar I have ever seen, and I've photographed the blue instars of the Hercules moth in the Daintree, (unfortunately, these photos don't indicate scale very well). It wasn't just the size though - it was those hairs. And to me, they looked like they were probably urticating in nature. I had absolutely no desire to find out.

Anthelid caterpillars often have Urticating (irritating), hairs as a defence against predators

And with that, we slowly ambled home to a late meal. For me, the night was a success, gecko's or not. The almost addictive thrill, is the seeking, and the occasional unexpected discovery. Who knows what we might find on our next adventure ... or even just sitting around the fire at home eh?.

So until then, Take care

If you think you can help with regard to any of the I.D's on this, or any other post. Please leave a comment - it would be much appreciated.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wonderful but watch out for those tiny leeches on Mt Lewis. I've had 2 in my eyes over a 30 yr time period.
Paul said…
Hi Anon, yeah, agreed! I've not been unfortunate enough to have any attach to me eyes, (thank God), but I've definitely had a few on my lower legs/ankles. It's truly extraordinary how they go unnoticed - the little vampires!

Popular Posts