Hand-Feeding Wild Lizards

Remember that I said I would do a post on feeding the skinks 'round the joint?. Well, here it is - sort of. The skinks were fed, unfortunately I didn't quite manage to capture the moment as well as I would've liked. But there is, at least, some semblance of logical progression with the shots, so I guess that'll just have to do.

This rather handsome Robust skink, rocked up and skittered about the place for bit, before ending up at Jo's feet - taking on the air of a puppy, begging for a treat. An act, for which it was richly rewarded.

Lizard licking its 'lips' in anticipation of a free meal
Upon arrival on top of the firewood, actually licking its 'lips'!


As I was buggering about with the bloody camera, the cheeky fellah shimmied over to Jo, and in a flash, snatched the tasty morsel right out of her fingers. It did so with such force that the meal worm was torn in half!.

Lizard consuming a meal worm, messily.
Does sir require a napkin?


Skink with its meal splattered all over its face.
A face-wipe it is then.


Can you keep a secret?. No?, I'll tell ya anyway. I have to admit that I fed him too. Yes, I know - I'm an insufferable hypocrite. But that wasn't my biggest failing of the day. A little later on, while I was in my office working, - well, I say office. It's the spare bedroom. But hey, it's a step up from my mother's basement right? - Hi Mum.

I was chipping away at this and that, when Jo called that the General had also turned up. I peered out the window, and sure enough, the Major skink was busy asserting his authority over the other lizards on the back deck. This guy is a bit of a legend around our place. He has a noticeable scar on his flank, so we recognise him immediately when he stops by.
Now, you might be asking yourself, how do we know it's a 'he'?. The truth is, we don't, however - we haven't been called into the H.R department for misgenderising the little guy, so we just roll with it.

As I watched, Jo offered it a grub, followed by another ... and another. Why wasn't I outside, taking pics?. I wish I had a reasonable answer to that question. I do have a pic of the General eating outa Jo's hand. But more would be good. One thing I didn't want to do though was frighten the critter off by clattering out of the screen door, I'm about as graceful as an under-inflated beach ball, so there was that.

And I suppose, in hindsight, I was simply enjoying watching our Jo engaging with the wildlife. So perhaps it wasn't a fail at all?. An old friend of mine used to call such things pockets of magic - so yeah, that's what it was. A pocket of magic.

As always, thanks for stopping by. And I hope your day has a bit of magic in it too.

Take care

All jokes aside, the Major skink may very well be a female, as it is more gracile than one would expect from a male of the species. Although, it does carry that injury, which might be inhibiting its growth.

Comments

Popular Posts