Brown tree snake preying on sunbirds

Updated Oct 2022 by Paul.

Jo and I often discuss how ya just never know what's going to turn up around the joint, or what they're going to do while they're here. Back in 2011 we had such a moment.
Jo was heading to the pool, only to discover this Night tiger approaching a Sunbird nest. She called out to me and I arrived to see the snake cautiously, but resolutely closing in, as the adult sunbird gamely held her ground.

Frankly, I was conflicted about what, if any, action I should take. With both animals being native, I didn't think it was right for me to intervene. But let me tell you, part of me desperately wanted to.

The sunbird waited until the very last moment before silently fleeing into the night. There was absolutely nothing she could have done to defend her nest from such a marauder. I felt bloody awful for her and I had to squeeze down a lot of feelings, (mostly guilt mixed with sadness), to continue observing the unfolding events. Putting thoughts and feelings to the side. I took these shots.

Brown tree snake (Boiga irregularis), entering a sunbird nest

Night tiger on the prowl


Snake entering the nest

Night tiger AKA (Boiga irregularis)


A bulge in the snakes stomach as it feeds

You can clearly see the bulge from her prey


The night tiger continues to feed on the defenseless young

On to the second chick


The snake is adjusting its jaws after its meal

Or was it an egg?


The snake is about to depart the scene of the 'crime'.

The nest left barren


A male sunbird with flecks of pollen on its head
Male Yellow-bellied sunbird, dusted with pollen


Female sunbird almost shining in the sunlight
Female sunbird


The birds never returned to the nest, but we left it up and let the elements reduce it to bare threads over time. Happily however, we did have Sunbirds nest at ours again, if it was the same pair - I couldn't say, but we have always enjoyed their presence in our lives.

The 'Night-Tiger' is a rear fanged colubrid - and whilst venomous, for the most part it's regarded as 'harmless' to people. The bite from large adults may require treatment however, and I have found these snakes to sometimes be extremely self-protective.

Interestingly, on one trip to Cape York, this species of snake was the most common I found, (with 16 in one night). And I tend to see them more often on, or around, the full moon. Within a 100 km radius of where we live, this snake has some remarkable colour variations - and I have been lucky enough to see the 'Candy Cane' variety on occasion - thus, with a planned snake bothering expedition to their locale coming soon, I hope to be able to post some pics for you ... (lol, I'm still working on pics of the Candy Cane tiger).

Well folks, I hope you enjoyed the update - there's much more to come, so stay tuned and take care

Night Tigers have become a pest species on some Pacific Islands, including Hawaii and especially Guam, where they are a serious threat to native bird populations.

Comments

Mr. Smiley said…
Great photos but these snakes and the Pied Butcherbirds take an awful toll of the Sunbirds.
Paul said…
Hey there me ol' mate, yep, they certainly take their fair share. But so far we have had two Sunbird chicks 'successfully' raised, to one loss, not a bad average ...

Appreciate the comment.

Popular Posts