Brown/Dusky Honeyeaters?

I made the decision recently to get a little better acquainted with the birds in our garden by shamelessly exploiting their love of Jo's sugar water feeder. And things are taking a bit of a turn. Not to mention that I continue to be humbled by my lack of birdy knowledge!.

These are wild birds - but it's been quite the lesson in the habituation of me, by them, lol.

The first time I really attempted some pics the light was a bit ordinary and I think I was still a little ambivalent about it all. Anyway, the pics were okay, and I noticed how close I was getting - a real treat as it meant I could really observe their behaviour - which for me is the whole point of wildlife bothering.

Today, after hearing some titivating and general squabbling out the back. I thought I'd gather the camera and have myself a look.

Now I dunno about you - but I have always had certain species that, for whatever reason, I just don't seem to be able to get a half decent pics of. The list includes the Brown and the Dusky honeyeater's. As far as these two species go I have, it seems, been confusing them.

The bird that isn't brown, but rather dusky in appearance, is the Brown honeyeater. While the completely brown brid, is, of course - the dusky honeyeater ... swear to God, the people who named birds back in the day, must've been borderline psychopaths.

Female brown honeyeater
Brown Honeyeater


Dusky honeyeater


Yellow-spotted honeyeater
Oh, God! - I'm gonna say Yellow-spotted honeyeater


Along with the Spotted, there are also the Cryptic, Lewin's and Graceful honeyeaters who all look remarkably similar


For me these guys are really just the tip of the iceberg. I even moved my outside chair a bit, so I could observe the feeder more easily/closely.

LOL, before you get the wrong idea - I do stand and bob and weave to take the pics, nice and close, manual settings etc ... don't be judgy!.

Like I said ... just the tip of the proverbial, eh?.

Tha madness that is "Twitching" I suppose. I hear there is even a group of people on Twitter, who "Fact-check" bird ID's ... what a world eh?

LMFAO! Take Care

Comments

Popular Posts