A day in the life

There was nothing for it, but to sit outside and do some writing the old school way. With pen and paper - (and you thought my spelling was shocking with the benefits of technology!). The reason for this was yet another power-outage. I suppose though, when one chooses to live in a developing country - it's to be expected, (I'm joking of course, they stopped developing Far North Queensland years ago).

But it gave me an excuse to sit quietly, and chip away at things that needed my attention. As I was doing so, I noticed that the Sunbirds were being a little noisier than usual, and were edging closer and closer to me.

My first thought was that there may be a snake in the vicinity, so I started to look around. I couldn't see any threats to the birds, no predators in sight.

However, no matter how reassuring I attempted to make my tone, they kept up their keening and chitter chattering, while frenetically darting about the joint. Something was up - but what?.

As I mulled it over - my attention was caught by the bird feeder, gaily swinging in the gusty breeze. "You've got to be bloody joking?", I grumbled at the female of the pair, as I went to investigate the contents.

Sure enough, it was empty.

Sunbird requesting the feeder be re-filled
Oi!, Beardy! - A little help?.


Firing up the camp-stove and knocking up a batch, of what can only be described, as bird heroin, seemed the only recourse. Thus, with that done, and sufficiently cooled - I placed it back on the tree. Now, you would think there might be a bit of appreciation. I'm not asking for a gift voucher, but a small round of applause would've been nice.

Nothing.

Anyway, with the birds, at least somewhat placated - I resumed chewing on my pen and staring at the stark, white, empty page in front of me. It wasn't long though before my gaze was once more diverted to the surrounding garden - this time it was a couple of Button-quails, probably disturbed by their own shadow, taking to the air like balloons loosing helium.

So I thought, why not make a list of anything that stops by as I'm sitting here? - not actively looking for critters, just those I notice:

  • Bar-shouldered doves
  • Forest King-fisher
  • Yellow-bellied sunbirds
  • Dusky honeyeaters
  • Pretty-faced wallaby
  • Robust/Eastern-lined skink
  • Button quails
  • Brown-honeyeater
  • Macleay's honeyeater

Along with all manner of butterflies and the like, that for once, I wasn't paying a lot of attention to.

Robust skink, looking out from the grass as I snuck a pic
Peeking at me over a blade of grass - made me smile ...


The juv Robust skink above, Ninja'd through the grass, after already having a meal of god knows what from beneath the brazier - perhaps it was cooked?. I was a fair distance away when I took this shot, but as you see, he's clearly got my measure.
The next shot was taken on a different day - showing a fully grown and very confident adult.

Well yes, you can, but I insist on proofing all shots


That was my day - well, part of it at least. Cheers for stopping by - but I really do have some things that need attending to, not least of all something that rhymes with a sink.

Pretty-faced wallaby hopping away, tired of my company.
Call the boys - He's gettin' a round in!


Until next time - take care

We are very fortunate to have the Robust skink and the Major skink, call our yard home. In fact, once again, Jo is endeavouring to habituate the known universe by feeding them - unbelievably, some take food directly from her hand!. I hope to document that at some point - but you know how it is? - life keeps getting in the way and all that :)

Comments

Popular Posts